National Croissant Day
Have a croissant for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. January 30 is National Croissant Day.
Do you know how the croissant came to be?
It might be just a myth, but the history of the croissant is interesting. The story goes that in 1683, the bakers of Vienna alerted the army about the Turks who were coming to do battle. The bakers received high honors and thanks for their assistance in defeating the Turks.
To celebrate they baked their bread in the shape of a crescent moon which was the symbol of the Ottoman Empire. From then on, it became custom to serve morning coffee with the crescent-shaped pastry. Over a hundred years later, Marie Antoinette introduced the pastry to the French who dubbed it a "croissant.”
A croissant is the French word for a buttery flaky bread roll named for its well known crescent shape. Croissants are made of a layered yeast-leavened dough. The dough is layered with butter, rolled and folded several times in succession, then rolled into a sheet, in a technique called laminating. The process results in a layered, flaky texture.
Celebrate National Croissant Day by enjoying a delicious croissant
National Inane Answering Message Day
If you've ever had to push 200 buttons to talk to an actual human being, endure blaring music, annoying background noises or long-winded messages when calling a friend, acquaintance or business, today is your lucky day!
January 30th is National Inane Answering Message Day! This annual "holiday" was created by the folks at Wellcat to encourage folks to "change, shorten, replace or delete those ridiculous and/or annoying answering machine messages that waste the time of anyone who must listen to them."
Whether you have an answering machine or handy-dandy gadget with voice mail, today is the perfect opportunity to get rid of the old and bring on a brand new, creative and much more appropriate greeting! Changing your outgoing message from time-to-time only takes a few minutes and is much more fun for listeners. Whether your message is humorous, professional or short-and-sweet, kick things up a notch or two by changing that outgoing message. Some people may be so impressed they may have to call back just to listen again!
If you need a few suggestions to get you started, check out the helpful outgoing message tips below.
Outgoing Message Examples & Tips That Don't Suck
- Listen to Radio Shack's outgoing messages, with and without music.
- Carl Kasell shares some interesting outgoing message ideas.
- Cutesy and silly messages may not be the right choice if you are a business or on the hunt for a job. Check out the Professional Business Voicemail Etiquette for helpful tips.
- Be careful not to divulge too much personal information on your outgoing message. Check out a few of these safety tips.
National Escape Day
Are you feeling a little down in the dumps lately? Have those depressing winter blues set in? If you’re sick and tired of feeling sick and tired, well, no worries. Today is all about taking a well-deserved break from all the hassles and struggles of everyday life. January 30th is National Escape Day.
So go ahead and make a run for it! Whether you escape to a tropical paradise or head to your nearest restroom to soak in some suds, today is all about taking a moment out of your hectic day to pamper the most special person in your life – you!
While anywhere warm and tropical sounds perfect right about now, for many people, a cruise or tropical vacation just isn’t in the budget. But there are some affordable and free things you can do for a virtual escape.
How to Celebrate National Escape Day
- Pamper yourself - Get a message.
- Get a manicure/pedicure.
- Take a relaxing bubble bath surrounded by scented candles and a glass of your favorite bubbly. Let Calgon take you away!
- If you’ve been considering a new look lately, today’s the day. Change your hair style or color then celebrate the new and improved you!
- Put out the Do Not Disturb Sign and tell your family you are taking a moment. Then do it.
- Get out of the house! Go for a walk or run despite the weather.
- Love the one you’re with!
- Make it date night!
- No housework or cooking today - you are officially off duty!
- Order in!
- Start that yoga class you’ve been putting off.
- Go out with the girls!
- Crank up your favorite music and get your dance on!
- Grab a few of your favorite flicks, curl up with a nice blanket, some sweet treats and delicious snacks, and make it movie night and laugh or cry your heart out!
- Enjoy your four-legged friends. Take them for a walk, play, cuddle and enjoy!
- While it’s not quite as good as actually being there, check out this online virtual vacation to popular destination spots around the globe with the Robot Flaneur site.
- Get yourself some bubble wrap and go at it in honor of Bubble Wrap Appreciation Day!
- Do something nice for someone in need.