I Love My Dentist Day
Celebrate the person that helps you smile: your dentist. Dentists know their craft and are required to attend four years of college and be licensed in the state where they practice. The pediatric dentist receives an additional two or three years of training. This movable holiday occurs on the first Friday in June annually.
- During your check-up, your dentist will check for signs of oral cancer. He will also check for gum disease which is especially important to treat as it can affect your heart, blood sugar, memory and breathing. Effectively, your dentist can, in some cases, give you a very important heads up to other health conditions you may not know you have. (http://www.prevention.com/health/health-concerns/gum-disease-can-cause-serious-illness)
- Your dentist knows how to fix your teeth!! Among other things, he can take x-rays, look for cavities you can’t see and fill them. He can straighten crooked teeth. He can help you with bad breath and he and his team can clean and polish your teeth.
- Your dentist cares about your teeth and will help you when you’re in pain. They will even see you out of hours if necessary and are usually (as is the case with Dr Schmidt) available by phone whenever you need them.
- Your dentist prefers to see you on a regular basis though, so that he can help you avoid needing treatment. By having regular checkups he and his hygienist can spot minor ailments before they blow up into instances that need major work. In some cases your dentist can put sealants on teeth to avoid cavities. Your hygienist will help you by advising you how to care for your teeth at home between visits, reminding you to floss and brush regularly.
- Modern dentists have new ways to treat you. They can do implants as well as crowns. Hygienists use sonic brushes to cleans your teeth, they can whiten your teeth so your smile is brilliantly welcoming. The dentist’s chair is now a place to relax with calming decor, music playing. If you’re still nervous, we can offer Nitrous Oxide (Laughing Gas) to relax you. The modern dental office is a great place to get your teeth checked.
- Your dentist will have had a long thorough education in order to be able to care for your oral health. His education will have included College, Dental School, Dental Admissions Testing, State Licensing, National Dental Board Exams, Continuing Education and in some instances further specialist training.
- You get a free tooth brush, floss and toothpaste every time you have a check up!!
National Leave The Office Early Day
When it comes to holidays, June has gotten off on the right ‘foot.’ So far this month, we’ve observed National Go Barefoot Day, Heimlich Maneuver Day and the super-sweet National Rocky Road Day, and it’s only the beginning of June! It's National Leave the Office Earlier Day, sometimes referred to as National Leave the Office Early Day.
National Leave the Office Earlier Day History
National Leave the Office Earlier Day was created by bestselling author and workplace issues expert Laura Stack back in 2004. She selected June 2 as the holiday because it was her birthday and who wants to work more than 8 hours on a birthday? If June 2 falls on a weekend, the occasion is observed on a different date. This year, National Leave the Office Earlier Day takes place on Monday, June 2, 2014.
Let’s face it, many American’s are stressed out, over-worked, overwhelmed and underpaid – that is if you are lucky enough to have a job! Many work long hours and take little time off. In fact, many Americans work, on average, 49 hours per week according to the U.S. Department of Labor Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Chances are pretty good employees around the country will be looking forward to participating in this year’s event. Just imagine telling the boss you are taking off work “early” to enjoy a little R and R with the family and/or friends!
How to Celebrate
- Have a Leave the Office Earlier Day party with your BFFs.
- Schedule a mani/pedi or relaxing massage this afternoon.
- Encourage everyone to participate in an office pot-luck lunch. After you eat and clean-up, call it a day.
- Sign up for the founder’s 10-day eCourse – it’s free!
National Bubba Day
When it comes to holidays, there are traditional holidays, not-so-traditional holidays and downright wacky holidays. This particular holiday isn’t dedicated to a worthy cause, historical event or delicious food or beverage, June 2nd is dedicated to certain fellers across America with a special name. It’s National Bubba Day, y’all!
National Bubba Day
While some credit comedian, author and recording artist, T. Bubba Bechtol, with coming up with Bubba Day, others believe two Bubba’s from Missouri (pronounced ‘Ma-zur-a’) created the day back in the 1860s. While the origins of the annual holiday may be a bit unclear, one thing is clear, June 2nd celebrates Bubbas everywhere.
What's in a Name?
According to Merriam-Webster, Bubba is often used in a disparaging way or used as a stereotype for white males from the south. When you think of the name Bubba, does a redneck or good old boy come to mind? Some folks use Bubba as an endearing nickname for a special friend or sibling.
There have been many famous Bubbas over the years and believe it or not, not all of them lived down south or had red necks!
Famous and Not-So-Famous Bubbas
- United States President Bill Clinton is sometimes referred to as “Bubba.”
- Uncle Bubba’s Oyster House - This famous restaurant is named after Paula Deen’s brother.
- Professional golfer Bubba Watson recently won the Masters.
- Tune in to the Rick and Bubba Show
- Bubba Sparxxx the Rapper.
- Bubba Hernandez the Latin/Rock/Pop artist.
- Bubba Smith – Former NFL player and actor who died in 2011.
- Baseball player James "Bubba" Starling.
- Baseball pitcher Bubba Church.
- Motorcross racer Bubba Stewart.
- Forrest Gump had a special friend named Bubba Blue.
- Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. - The real-life restaurant inspired by the blockbuster movie Forrest Gump.
- Bubba Higgins, son of Eunice and Ed Higgins of Mama's Family.
- Actress Minnie Driver and singer Pink both have pooches named Bubba.
- Speaking of dogs, Bubba ranked #63 on the 100 Most Popular Dog Names list.
National Rocky Road Day
National Rocky Road Day is celebrated on June 2nd of each year. This is an unofficial holiday in honor of Rocky Road Ice Cream.
Rocky road ice cream is a chocolate flavored ice cream. Though there are variations on the flavor, it is traditionally composed of chocolate ice cream, nuts, and marshmallows. According to one source, the flavor was created in March 1929 by William Dreyer in Oakland, California when he cut up walnuts and marshmallows with his wife’s sewing scissors and added them to his chocolate ice cream in a manner that reflected his partner Joseph Edy’s chocolate candy creation incorporating walnuts and marshmallow pieces. Later, the walnuts would be replaced by pieces of toasted almond. After the Wall Street Crash of 1929, Dreyer and Edy gave the flavor its current name “to give folks something to smile about in the midst of the Great Depression.” Alternatively, Fentons Creamery in Oakland claims that William Dreyer based his recipe on a Rocky Road-style ice cream flavor invented by his friend, Fentons’ George Farren, who blended his own Rocky Road-style candy bar into ice cream; however, Dreyer substituted almonds for walnuts.
The original Rocky Road ice cream used chocolate ice cream with no chocolate chip pieces. Today, Rocky Road can be obtained based on vanilla ice cream with chocolate chips, marshmallows and almonds.